This is the place where a California girl, transplanted to Oklahoma City, shares her love for all things food related.






4.19.2011

These are no girl scout cookies

These are Ad Hoc chocolate chip cookies (however I added a pinch of sea salt). If you haven't purchased the Ad Hoc at Home cookbook, you maybe haven't lived? I am being a little dramatic but if you cook at home, this is a must have cookbook. Gorgeous photography and truly great food that turns out well every time. I have been using it since it came out in 2009. Though most of the recipes tend to be rather multi-stepped, to put it lightly, I have found that I can take flavor combinations from Thomas Keller's creations and adapt them to my simple dinners. Also, if you took my advice and read Life On the Line, now you really need to buy this cookbook. Anyone who has read that book probably wants to support Thomas Keller as much as I do.

Back to the recipe. This is my go-to recipe for chocolate chip cookies in a hurry (or not). I am not talking about an overpriced box of mix that you can buy at Williams-Sonoma. Ad Hoc really does sell their mix at W.S. I am talking about 9 ingredients that you probably have in your pantry. Bonus: you won't need to bring your ingredient to room temperature. Start to finish these cookies didn't take me more than 45 minutes to whip up (baking included).  The key is having all of the ingredients in your pantry. My pantry is pretty much stocked with all of these ingredients year round so when new neighbors move into the hood, I most certainly have to greet them with my finest creations. Call me old-fashion. Honestly who bakes for their new neighbors anymore? When you have a mom like I do, you bake and give flowers, preferably homegrown flowers. I leave the green thumb part of our housewarming gifts up to my husband Michael. I am only good for cookies.

My only ask is read the entire recipe before you start baking - my students never seem to tire of me saying this.

Ad Hoc Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 1/3 cups plus 1 tablespoon a.p. flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt (don't skip this)
5 ounces of 55% chocolate chips/disks (look for Ghirardelli or E. Guittard)
5 ounces of 70-72% chocolate chips/disks (OKC friends you can find these at Forward Foods)
2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup packed dark brown sugar (the darker the better)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
sea salt for sprinkling (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpats.

Over a medium size bowl, sift the flour and baking soda. Stir in the kosher salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat half the butter on medium speed until smooth. Add both sugars and the remaining stick of butter and beat until well combined. It will take a few minutes. You want the consistency to be light and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until the first one is incorporated before adding the next. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low until just combined. Mix in the chocolate chips.

Using an ice cream scoop with a release lever, shape the dough into balls. Arrange 8-12 cookies on each baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between each cookie. Sprinkle the tops of each cookie with a tiny pinch of sea salt. Bake for 11 minutes or until the tops are no longer shiny, switching the position and rotating the pans halfway through baking. (I always error on the side of under-baking).

Cool the cookies on the pans on cooling racks for 2 minutes to firm up a bit then transfer to the racks to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining cookies.

Makes about 20-30 cookies

Recipe from Ad Hoc at Home (with a few small adaptions)

No comments:

Post a Comment