This is the place where a California girl, transplanted to Oklahoma City, shares her love for all things food related.






8.28.2013

Kale craving


Sometimes you just need to get the heck out of dodge in order to feel inspired by food. Meals I share with friends never disappoint especially when I am with my best friends & their amazing palates. That was the case recently when my besties & I ventured onto the hot food scene in Venice, California where innovative bites litter every block. Post trip I couldn't stop thinking about the kale salad from Superba Snack Bar. It had the perfect balance of acidity with a little sweetness, saltiness and lots of crunch. I knew at first bite that I had to recreate it in my own home kitchen. Why was it so special? Maybe it was the jalapeno pickled golden raisins & red onion that I fell in love with? Maybe it was a combo of the open air setting, the company and the freshness of the salad? Whatever the case, here's a little reincarnation of a memorable salad that's best devoured in good company.
Kale salad with jalapeño pickled raisins, pine nuts, parmesan & croutons

Pickled Raisins & Red Onion ingredients:
½ cup golden raisins
¼ of a red onion, thinly sliced (optional)
1 jalapeño, halved, white ribs & seeds removed, & sliced 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
¼ tsp. kosher salt
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
¼ tsp. celery seed (optional)
½ tsp. sugar
a few cracks of black pepper

Salad ingredients:
1 bunches curly kale, center rib removed from each leaf, leaves chopped
1/8 cup olive oil
Zest & juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp. raisin pickling liquid
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1/4 cup parmesan
1 sprig of mint, about 8 leaves, torn
1/2 cup jalapeno-pickled golden raisins & red onion mixture, drained (recipe above)
4 pieces toasted bread, cubed
kosher salt & pepper to taste
1 tbsp. parmesan for garnish

Directions:
1. Place the first 3 pickling ingredients in a medium size bowl. Set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, add the vinegars through black pepper and bring to a boil. Once boiling, give the liquid a stir & pour it over the golden raisin, red onion & jalapeno mixture. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Note: pickle ahead of time & leave mixture in a sealed container in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
2. Meanwhile in large bowl, toss all of the salad ingredients together using tongs. Taste & adjust seasoning as desired. Mound salad in the center of each plate.

Serves 2 large portions, 4 small portions

Recipe inspired by Superba Snack Bar (Venice, CA)


3 comments:

  1. So, so happy you posted this! Last year I went to Superba for my birthday and had the kale salad. I have been searching for it ever since! Now I live in NYC, but can have a little bit of Venice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love getting fan mail! I'm glad your google search lead you to my adaptation of Superba's awesome kale salad. I keep playing with recipe every time I make it which is often.

      Delete
  2. Thank you. Love the kale salad at Superba in Venice. I just pulled up this recipe again. Making it for a third time. It’s a family favorite.

    ReplyDelete