This is the place where a California girl, transplanted to Oklahoma City, shares her love for all things food related.






2.23.2011

Oscar-worthy dessert

Butterscotch Pot de Creme

The Oscars are 4 days from now. Do you have party plans? Maybe you are planning on having friends over to watch the 83rd annual awards show or maybe you haven't considered doing anything for it besides tuning in? In my house, the Oscars are my equivalent of throwing a Super Bowl party except I don't have to wait until half-time to see all of my celebrity "friends."

First order of business: come up with a menu. For this type of gathering, a theme isn't necessary. The Oscars after all are your theme. Though I haven't come up with my entire menu of grabby snacks and signature drinks, I do know what's for dessert.  In fact, I may just serve it first because it's that good. The inspiration for my individual butterscotch pot de cremes comes from Town Hall restaurant in San Francisco - naturally. Though this dessert wasn't on the menu when I dined there years ago, it did steal my friend Carrie's heart just a few weeks ago. Her obsession quickly became my obsession, and I hadn't even tried it. She described it in such a way that I thought it too might deserve an Oscar (or a food Oscar if there were such a thing). Creamy, dreamy and so luscious it will make your knees weak.

Trapped in another snowstorm with all of the ingredients handy to make the chocolate pudding base and the butterscotch pot de creme top layer, I made it, loved it, shared it with neighbors and haven't stopped thinking about it since. If you do decide to give this recipe a shot, make it a day ahead or save yourself some time and use boxed chocolate pudding. I topped mine with Heath bar instead of making homemade buttercruch. This recipe makes a lot - you may want to half it. 

Whatever your plans are for this Sunday, use the Oscars as an excuse to try something new from one of those cookbooks sitting on your shelf.  You may just find yourself a winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment